4.24.2013

D.I.Y. Terrarium


Last week I told you about my amazing trip to the not-to-be-missed Treasure Island Flea, which by the way is happening next Saturday and Sunday. While I was there I discovered the best deal on succulents I've found yet. I purchased all of the plants below for a total of $7. The best! I love these plants for two reasons: you don't have to have a green thumb to make them flourish and they make for great city plants, as there is no room for anything larger in my mini apartment! I have to admit that I salvaged this vase from the trash can at my office, but as soon as I saw it I instantly thought it would make a great terrarium. 

Here's how to make your own:


Step one: find an assortment of succulents in different heights and colors that will compliment each other.


step two: find a circular or round vase and fill the bottom with a layer of small stones that can be found at the nursery.


step three: fill the vase about 1/4 of the way full with soil and decide how you want to arrange your succulents in the terrarium.


step four: make holes in the soil with your finger and plant your succulents accordingly. There are many great examples online if you need a some new ideas.

Terrarium tip: be very careful to not overwater these plants. Succulents are perfectly happy with just a little bit of water and natural sunshine from a kitchen window or bright living room.

Happy planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...